Friday 10 July 2009

Summer update update

So, it's a Friday night in the summer holidays and I'm sat in my room listening to some dubstep/grime/g-funk hybrid podcast really quietly so I don't wake my brothers up. I've drunk all the beer in the house. Damn. Things aren't looking good.

The reason my summer has been a washout so far is the lack of money. I could have tried harder to get a job back at home when I was still in London, but I didn't. So I find myself in the position of having no income and owing the bank money. In fairness, I did handle my student loan pretty well this year, so my debt is quite minimal (£150). Apart from the trip to Barcelona, I rarely did anything extravagant. The Primavera trip was a risk and during the booking of flights, festival ticket and accommodation I didn't look at my bank balance once. So it was quite a nice surprise to see £800 in there when I had a look at the balance at Gatwick. After Barcelona, I was left with just over £500. The trip cost about that too, so I figure I balanced the books quite well. And it was money well spent.

Anyway, back to my point: I HAVE NO MONEY. I didn't realise this until the first time I went out in Norwich after I got back. Casually strolling up to an ATM on Prince of Wales, attempting to get £20 out only to be told I had insufficient funds was a harrowing experience. Going out since has involved borrowing money from the 'rents. Mum is convinced that £20 will cover a night out. It doesn't. But I should be thankful for it anyway. I need the dollar though.

I remember back in the day when having more than a tenner felt like a luxury. Strolling through HMV and GAME with £100 in the pocket of yr H&M jeans made you feel like P Diddy. I found my old copy of Ridge Racer Four the other day (as well as my previously thought lost copy of Tony Hawks Pro Skater 2, which is still as rad as ever. Fuck the soundtrack is good; Papa Roach singing about 'CORRUPTION AND A GOAT - THE SALESMEN OF OUR BLOOD' and that Anthrax/Public Enemy collabo in the same game? Damn son). Cost me £20. Part of HMV's 'budget' range. Fuck was I on? Ridge Racer is shit isn't it? The girl in the game is quite cute though. And the drifitng is good. But yeah, £20 back then got spent on games and stuff. Now it'd cover the cost of the train into Norwich and approx 3 pints of Kronenbourg in The Glasshouse. My dad gave me a tenner the other day as pocket money. I was overjoyed, went into town to buy a stereo/iPod jack, some books and some beer. And when I lost £2 in my room the other day I was properly pissed. Getting angry over £2. Damn. I need money.

1 comment:

  1. this right here, o hai my life.

    great summer, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete